11 March 2014

My life as a mother.. Part 2

Being a mother isn't easy.. but I'm thankful that there are people out there who are willing to help me!!

Ask me what is the toughest I encounter being a mother?! It's not the labour nor the sleep depravation during wee morning hours due to Danielle's feeding..

It's the BREASTFEEDING!
Benefits of breast milk

Source: Pinterest

I know that everyone and anyone would know that breast milk is the best for your baby. I agree cause there are certain stuffs in the bm than formula milk don't have. I was very depressed during my short stay in the hospital because all the nurses and the lactation nurses claims that I've short nipple and baby couldn't latch on properly.



Which leds me to having sore nipples by the 2nd - 3rd day and I try so hard to let baby latch on correctly. Trust me, it isn't easy. Cause baby is so fragile and she is crying so hard (because she is hungry) that being able to latch on properly isn't on my mind. I just want to feed her asap.

At that time, I don't even know if I'm producing enough milk for my daughter or not...

When it's time for us to discharge and go home, I felt so helpless without the nurses around to guide me. Especially when baby keeps crying and crying. Cause she is hungry and my milk production hasn't kick it yet. And the nurses didn't even teach me anything like we can supplement formula milk first.



So out of desperation, hubby went to NTUC to purchase S26 for baby and since that she has been on formula milk. (I've later switched her to Nan HA 1).

As for my breast milk.. it come 3 days after I discharged. And that night when my breast is engorged, it hurt like hell!!!!! Worst than labour! But I'm thankful that I'm able to produce decent amount of milk for my daughter.

My first best record of milk pump.


Occasionally I still let Danielle direct latch on but she is used to the steady flow of the milk bottle, after sucking for awhile she will cry for her milk bottle.

Now my daily routine during maternity leave? Is to pump milk. I tried to express milk every 2 - 3 hours but i felt that the volume isn't alot. I can't express at least 90ml of milk (from both breast) if I tried to express every 2 - 3 hours.

So now I express every 4 hours and I tried to hit at least 100 ml. I'm not sure that without baby's direct latch on, will my milk production be sufficient for me to feed her till she is 6 months old? But I am damn sure I will try. Cause the breast pump isn't cheap!! And I kinda of regret not getting the twin pump.



Here is some common tips on pumping milk:

1. To prompt milk let-down, have a picture of the baby or a blanket that smells like him nearby, especially if she isn't around when you pump. 
2. Invest in a high-quality pump. 
3. Hold baby close, stroke him and maintain eye contact when feeding to help maintain an emotional connection.

* I am not too sure about point no 3. But point no 2 is very right. Invest in a good pump!

It's about time for me to rest and start my expressing..

Have a great week!

Xoxo,
Felicia

No comments :